Friday, July 18, 2008

Del Posto

It's been a very eventful few weeks, but I did want to take a few minutes to update and give the Tummy credit for taking me out to an incredible anniversary dinner. We celebrated our third anniversary on July 9th, and I wasn't expecting that we'd do anything particularly special. So I was pretty floored when he told me he'd made reservations at Del Posto. I'd heard of it. Of course, I heard of it. I'm a foodie! It was mentioned in Mario Batali's Chefography. As the day grew near, we were both excited. We looked through the menu online and talked about what we were going to order.

The day of our actual anniversary, however, I was not in a great mood. In fact, I was in a terrible mood. And the Tummy was late getting out of work and that didn't help. Once we got there, though, I relaxed almost immediately. The restaurant was beautiful and HUGE by NYC standards. We were shown immediately to a nice table and brought drinks and menus. While we were deciding, they brought us a plate of hors d'oeuvres. There were small cups of honey-wheat soup and some kind of pate and these really amazing little risotto balls that has a crispy rice crust and then were dusted with gold leaf. Then, we both ordered their five course special and the real eating began....

For the antipasti, I had this amazing lobster salad with a horse radish panna cotta, and the Tummy had the salmoln special of the day. Then, we had two small pasta courses. The first was spaghetti with crab and jalapeno, and the second was orecchiette with lamb sausage. Both were just perfect. And then things got really wonderful. For our secondi, the Tummy got pork loin and I had grilled squab. If you've never eaten squab, you should. Immediately. It turns out that pigeons are not actually rats with wings. They are actually wonderful little succulent meals. I can't look at them the same way again. And then dessert.... The Tummy got himself a chocolate souffle and a scoop of hazelnut gelato while I got a chocolate and ricotta tortino with a pistachio crust and a scoop of gelato. And they brought us a little tray of tiny cookies which were also amazing.

Overall, it was an unbelievable experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and knowledgable and the food was delicious. We both left full, and we're big people with hearty appetites. (He's not nicknamed the Tummy for nothing.) And they handed us a small box of truffles and thanked us as we left. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. Yummmmmmmmy!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hooray for Del Posto! There's an award for you on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!