Sunday, August 31, 2008

Eclairs!

I just realized I'd forgotten to post about the August Daring Baker's Challenge! See, they've been baked and eaten so long ago that it slipped my mind. With the school year starting, I decided to get them out of the way early. So as soon as we packed up Medium Dude and brought him back to his mom, I bought my butter and cream and chocolate and I made...... ECLAIRS!



Our hosts this month were Tony Tahhan and MeetaK, and we made Chocolate Éclairs by Pierre Hermé. I used the Pate a choux recipe and the chocolate glaze from here, but I decided I didn't want to do chocolate and chocolate, so I made a coconut pastry cream. I found that recipe here.

The first batch of eclairs came out a wee bit underdone. They looked fine coming out of the oven, but after I let them cool for a minute, they looked like this:


So I started over. The next batch worked much better, but if I did them again, I would be sure to make them a little smaller. They were a little bit messy to eat and probably more eclair than anyone should eat in a single sitting.The Tummy and I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge! Can't wait for September's! Be sure to check out the other daring bakers. Their eclairs look amazing.

7 comments:

glamah16 said...

These were so yummy and light. I had to stop myself from eating them all.

Anonymous said...

OH look at those eclairs! They are yummy in the tummy aren't they!

Mary said...

Oh they look FABULOUS!

Peggy said...

I sure wished you lived closer

Cakelaw said...

They look terrific - and sooo good. I don't think you can ever get too much of them.

susan said...

mmmhmm. they look so yummy! :)

Mary said...

I have decided that since I have moved to Ohio to change from a life long Michigan fan to a Buckeye fan. It is much more enjoyable to cheer for a winning team. Ok now for the truth, my wife has been sick the last four days, and I felt she needed to keep up with her blog and family.